The judges will be asked to determine which contestant’s facial hair best enhances his overall appearance, style, and personality. In the freestyle categories the judges will be asked to consider originality and creativity as well.
- The Just for Men National Beard and Moustache Championships are open to all competitors, regardless of nationality, race, religion, or club or team affiliation.
- The competition will take place in 18 categories. Each competitor will specify the category in which he wishes to compete when he registers.
- At package pick-up, competitors who do not meet the qualifications for the category in which they have registered will be placed into the correct category.
- By registering for the competition, all competitors give their permission to the organizers and to the organizers’ designees that the competitors may be photographed, videotaped, and tape recorded and further that the organizers and their designees may use the photographs, video tapes, and audio tapes of the competitor for any purpose including commercial purposes.
- In those categories with 12 or fewer contestants and in the final round in the larger categories, each judge will rank the top three competitors in each category. A first place vote is worth five points, a second place vote is worth three points, and a third place vote is worth one point. In the event of a tie for any of the first three places, the judges will be asked to revote among the tied competitors.
- In all categories with more than 12 contestants, there will be a semifinal round of judging to narrow the field down to 12 or fewer contestants. In some categories there may be a quarterfinal round as well. In the semifinal and possible quarterfinal rounds, the competitors in each category will be divided into several different groups of approximately equal size. The three competitors receiving the most votes in each group will advance to the next (semi-final or final) round.
- Any competitor who does not appear when called to the stage will be eliminated.
- The organizers reserve the right to modify these rules at any time. Any rule modifications will be announced publicly before the competition begins.
- All decisions of the judges and organizers are final.
- The judges will receive no information regarding judging except for the official judging criteria which are available to the public. Any judge who is personally acquainted with any of the competitors may not vote in the category in which such competitor competes.
- Discourteous, abusive, or unprofessional behavior by a contestant may lead to disqualification at the organizers’ discretion.
- Artificial facial hair is not permitted.
- The term “aids” as used in the category descriptions means artificial styling aids such as moustache wax, hair spray, hair cream, styling foam, hair gel, hair pins, rubber bands, hair ties, and the like.